Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 Beta

Splodge 20:01 24 May 06

Hi all, good evening:

For those with the interest and time, you should sign up for this beta testing.

I have got it and had a look, so far no problems, although I have a back-up HD and can revert if necessary.

Word and Excel in particular look spectacular and is backwards compatable on the items I have tried.

It is not a case of B baffles brains, just nice additional features which are great!

Sign up with Microsoft and get the download and Key. However there has been a difficulty in activating the programs but may be because they are overloaded with other new users. You get 48 tries in any case at each program so.. worth the look1

Totally-braindead 20:12 24 May 06

Very useful but I wish to point out to newer members of the Forum that a Beta program is still in testing and may have problems. If you're unsure then don't try it. Splodge has stated he has a backup if needed.

Sorry Splodge just wanted to clarify it a bit.

Splodge 20:24 24 May 06

Sorry, you are correct but I imagine anyone using this forum has picked up enough knowledge to be wary of Betas: however, to be fair, I have picked up quite a few useful programs by beta testing them and receiving free copies on launch and I have never had a problem. Perhaps I have been lucky!

I agree that you should have a proper back-up disk if you like to do this sort of thing: I have 2 120Gb Hard Drives and use Acronis to back up. If I have a problem I reverse the disks from Slave to Master and back up again.

Totally-braindead 20:36 24 May 06

Splodge sorry but theres a lot of new members on the Forum and that is why I thought I had better mention it.
One in particular was ranting and raving a couple of weeks ago about Windows Defender Beta having faults and causing problems and he believed that because it was Microsoft there shouldn't have been a problem. Total nonsense and he didn't get much sympathy as it is a Beta program and clearly says that.

Splodge 20:43 24 May 06

I also have Defender, which has not been a problem on my computer. By and large since I have all XP registered products I allow Microsoft full access to my computer on the basis that they need the information. I also send back the reports when there is a glitch as has just happened during my further attempt to activate!

But you are right, if you try things out be prepared to take the aggro and be covered!

Good fun tho,, beats playing games all the time. lol

Genius1 21:34 24 May 06

I would be interested to know your activation story! Did it work for you first time? I can't seem to get mine to activate (see my thread 'Activating Office 2007').

Splodge 21:45 24 May 06

Did you run the "Office Tools" then "Diagnostics"? It found a problem with the activation tool and corrected it:

However, I suspect that demand on their server is very great in the US at this time and I intend to wait until tomorrow morning to try again. Will report then!

VoG II 21:53 24 May 06

If you DO decide to try this, please take note of the FE's comments click here

And backup your Outlook .pst file first click here

Splodge 22:03 24 May 06

thank you: I did not know it stops working in Feb 2007: Under those circumstances, I may just play with it for a while then remove it and wait to see its' pricing!

Splodge 23:27 24 May 06

You might like to know, when I tried activating at 23.26, mostly after Americans had left work, I activated in a few seconds!

Genius1 10:25 25 May 06

Have successfully activated this morning at about 7:30 when most Americans are asleep! As you say, it literally took about 3 seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…