MIcrosoft Office Pro

geedad 09:51 01 Aug 06

If I uninstall, then install MS Office Pro, will I have lost all of my data - or will it retain all of my .docs,Excel and database info?
This version is now not supported by MS, and I occassionaly get an error message in MS Word (97), and perhaps a re-install would overcome this?
geedad

FelixTCat 10:48 01 Aug 06

geedad,

No. But what I would suggest is that you copy them to a safe place (i.e. make a back-up). Also, if you are reinstalling the same version, make a back-up of normal.dot which contains your basic document defaults and any other macros that you want.

After the install, copy these back into the templates directory and they should automatically point to your original documents.

If you haven't changed the location of all the documents from the default, the new installation will find them anyway.

Regards,

Felix

vinnyT 10:57 01 Aug 06

When you go to uninstall, it should give you the option to repair, try this first.

If you do try, remember to back up.

Hope this helps.

geedad 12:15 01 Aug 06

vinnyT and FelixTcat
Many thanks to you both.
geedad

terryf 12:23 01 Aug 06

Unless you are continually deliberately changing your normal.dot, due to a bug in Office, it will grow in size, I found that making it 'read-only' stops this growth. If you don't have any added macros, try deleting normal.dot except for your backup copy which you should rename normal.old, then look at the size of the new normal.dot that Office creates and compare it with the size of normal.old

vinnyT 13:36 01 Aug 06

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…