Microsoft Office Not on Computer

Cesar 10:27 23 Aug 04

In August 2003 I purchased a new Laptop, on using windows explorer I find MS Office with lot's of sub folders Since I do not use Office or have any intention to is it safe to delete them?

zanwalk 10:38 23 Aug 04

You should be able to remove it using 'Add/Remove Programs' in Control Panel, however, if you do not possess the software on a CD, it would perhaps be unwise to remove it completely, just in case you may need it at some time in the future.

VoG II 10:57 23 Aug 04

Don't you use Excel, which is part of Office?

Djohn 10:58 23 Aug 04

Sometimes when you use the add/remove feature from control panel to alter or remove Office it will ask you to insert the CD to complete the un-install. If you don't have the disk you may find you have removed the facility of using Office but still left with all the folders and shortcuts that no longer work. j.

Cesar 11:21 23 Aug 04

I use Excel and MS word but they are stand alone Products.

temp003 12:07 23 Aug 04

Usually Excel and Word are installed as part of the Microsoft Office suite, which have different versions (which contain different applications).

If the Microsoft Office folder and subfolders you see are placed under Program Files, then you shouldn't delete the subfolders on your own, as some of them are required by Word and Excel.

In Add/Remove Programs, if you highlight Microsoft Office, there should be an option to "Change". Click that and you should get an option to Add/Remove Features in Office. It would be safer to let Office configure itself and remove unnecessary files/folders.

I don't know whether you will still be asked to insert CD if you just want to remove an Office application you don't want. You can try.

If you don't have the CD, I would think twice before trying to remove any application. You never know whether you will need it in future.

If you're short of hard disk space on the laptop, maybe you can back up certain things to CD or external hard disk to save disk space on the laptop.

Cesar 12:12 23 Aug 04

I shall leave well alone, as it's not bothering me and I have plenty of space on my HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…