Is Microsoft Office free to download?

gazmix 12:49 PM 07 Feb 12

I am surprised to see that olde version of Microsoft Office available free to download!

Is this a legit version?

I thought people had to pay for it!?

gazmix 12:50 PM 07 Feb 12
  Woolwell 13:02 PM 07 Feb 12

At the top of the page is this "Microsoft Office is an application to create and edit spreadsheets.Have Word,Excel and many other utilities. It is a TRIAL software and if you like his functions you can buy from Microsoft Corporation .Can create presentation pages ,image slide shows,work with". Note it is a TRIAL version. Trial versions are free but have a limited life after which you have to buy it. So in a short while it is not free. IMO the page is a bit of a con.

Woolwell 13:08 PM 07 Feb 12

If you are going to do that you might as well try the latest version 2010 for free MS Office 2010

robin_x 13:12 PM 07 Feb 12

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is Free (Word, Excel, +Ads)

Or use OpenSource LibreOffice which is compatible.

gazmix 16:23 PM 07 Feb 12

Ok, are the 2 links on robinofloxley's post also trial versions?

Also, if i download a trail version, do i have to then buy it after the trial has ended?, like contracted too or something?.

Woolwell 16:27 PM 07 Feb 12

After the trial if you do not buy it then it ceases to work and has to be removed. It is a trial - use it - if you like it buy it otherwise uninstall.

LibreOffice is free open source office software. Neither links are trials. MS Office starter is a cut down version plus adverts.

wiz-king 16:28 PM 07 Feb 12

No you dont have to buy it. BUT it gradually stops working - it will open files but not let you edit or save files - so not much use.

ton 16:33 PM 07 Feb 12

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 as above is not trial.

It is free as it has a few adverts.

sunnystaines 17:02 PM 07 Feb 12

i use Microsoft Office Starter 2010 which is free and unlimited use.

only 2 minor drawbacks one is slow to open, two some ads in right hand margin. with a saving of £90 for the student edition I can live with the drawbacks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…