Microsoft Office, the best value way to use and buy

Epirb406 18:59 21 Sep 14

Hi,

Can anyone give me chapter and verse on the cheapest way to use microsoft office 2010.

I see all the offers on Ebay and on software for students but I am a bit short on knowledge.

We have in the house, two girls in full time education (currently using libre office on linux) and a chair of the school of governors who gets lots of documents from school for review and return.

I would like the household to have a full functioning legal version of office 2010, what's the cheapest option.

Thanks all.

Epirb (or Barney if you prefer)

Jollyjohn 19:13 21 Sep 14

I would recommend MS Office Starter - available here - click here - it is a functional version of Office for Word processing and spreadsheets.

Note It won't work on Windows 8.1 without some messing about but I have installed it, as Administrator, on W8.

Alternatively try software for students - click here - avoid the Office 365 options, they are subscription based and need to be renewed annually.

Couple of questions, why 2010 and not newer and what's wrong with LibreOffice?

Cheers.

Epirb406 19:32 21 Sep 14

Hi,

Office 2010 because it is still very much current but I was hoping that age may have reduced its price and not libre because....well I hadn't really looked into it, just set the girls up on their own laptops (both old windows machines of mine) and I was wanting them to be legal and equipped so plumped for Libre.

Perhaps I should try and settle may wife on it but I think she would prefer absolute certainty on compatibility.

I will nip off and have a look at your links, thanks for coming back to me.

'pirb.

Epirb406 19:36 21 Sep 14

Sorry, was also wanting to know what anyone thought of offers like this: click here on ebay.

Not sure of forum rules so if you cannot comment directly are offers like this illegal?

Thanks again....

rdave13 19:42 21 Sep 14

Well I dropped a bit of a booboo here. Found the cheapest single licence was from Techsavers , can take up to 9 days to email me the key? They must have a stone age system :(. You can get a single licence for £76 on Amazon and I bet they'll supply faster! Check Amazon for a 3 PC licence etc in case you get it cheaper.

Jollyjohn , the reason I plumped for 2010 is it's cheaper than 2013 and has PowerPoint which schools seem to use a lot with homework in our area.

1]: [click here

rdave13 19:52 21 Sep 14

Epirb406, check the feedback carefully before buying from abroad even though you are protected via PayPal if something goes wrong during point of sale. Note, like mine, only installable for one PC. Feedback

wee eddie 21:52 21 Sep 14

I'm on my phone so not too hot on being able to read complex websites.

However, I notice that you said that the girls are using Linux. MS Office is Windows only, there's a Mac version.

If you want Outlook, it's not on the Starter Version.

If memory serves, the Student Version allows other members of the household to use it.

bumpkin 22:03 21 Sep 14

Epirb, never buy ANYTHING from USA.

rdave13 22:09 21 Sep 14

wee eddie is right. If you've changed the old machines to Linux then Office will be incompatible with it. You'll have to re-install Windows.

rdave13 22:14 21 Sep 14

bumpkin , never buy ANYTHING from USA , uhhh?

Wot u talkin abut mon?

Bull and excrement comes to mind.

bumpkin 22:27 21 Sep 14

Just my experiences, never again for me. Not going to give endless explanations. Go ahead and you will find out why.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017