Microsoft Office 2003 word freezes whole computer

Vorondel 22:40 26 Sep 05

Recently when using Microsoft Office word 2003 the screen freezes and ctl, alt del won't stop the program. I have to reboot. Often a thin, broken red line runs horizontally across the screen when i'm using word when it freezes. everthing else seems to work fine, internet, DVD player, games etc. i'm puzzled that a simple package like word is causing such major problems.any ideas anyone?

VoG II 22:42 26 Sep 05

Close Word.

Search for the file NORMAL.DOT (you will have to enable searching for hidden files and folders to find it). Rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT (or whatever) then start Word.

Forum Editor 00:09 27 Sep 05

Try the solution suggested by VoG™ and see what happens. Word needs to load the file called NORMAL.DOT when it's launched, and if that file has become corrupted in any way it will cause problems. Renaming the existing file forces Word to create a new one, and often that's the end of the problem.

NORMAL.DOT is the template on which all Normal documents are based, and when Word refuses to start properly the problem is very often a corrupted template.

In your case it sounds as if Word starts OK, but subsequently locks up, and this may have another cause - let's wait to see what happens. Are you using Norton Anti-virus software by the way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…