Microsoft Office

gios100 19:30 29 Jun 04

I have a new PC with MS office pro installed.

Iam using my old HD as a slave drive.
This has MS office XP installed. But when I try to open a doc in excel it wont open
( cannot find the program )

So I copied the entire officr folder from my D drive to my C drive.
And now it says " the operating system is not presently configured to run this application "

Any ideas anybody?

Regards
Ron

gios100 19:32 29 Jun 04

Correction *** My new pc has MS XP Pro installed. I copied MS Office from my old HD. which is now set as D drive.

Ron

Peter 19:36 29 Jun 04

I don't think you can just copy the folder across and expect it to work as it (MS Office XP) will need to be properly installed from its CD. Perhaps the copy on the D drive is confusing matters.

It might be worth trying to disconnect you slave drive and see if the Excel installed on the C drive will work without the D drive.

Peter.

Forum Editor 19:37 29 Jun 04

is being caused because the previous version of Office (the one on your slave drive) was installed when the drive was in a different computer, and it's trying to reference keys in the Windows registry on that machine.

Moving the Office folder would not work in any case - even if you had installed MS Office on the slave drive when it was in your new machine. It doesn't work that way - the Windows installer makes registry changes when you install software, and if you move the file locations the registry can't find what it needs when it needs it.

The best thing to do with your slave drive is to format it and start all over again with it.

Peter 19:38 29 Jun 04

Posts crossed in the ether. You will need to install Office from its CD to work properly.

Peter.

gios100 19:45 29 Jun 04

I think I get the the gist of it now.

I'll install office on the C drive.

Just one other thing though?

How do these file transfer wizards work?
They give the impression that you can transfer everything from your old pc to your new one.
And HEY PRESTO everthing works.

Do thet just mean files but not programs?

Ron

gios100 19:45 29 Jun 04

I think I get the the gist of it now.

I'll install office on the C drive.

Just one other thing though?

How do these file transfer wizards work?
They give the impression that you can transfer everything from your old pc to your new one.
And HEY PRESTO everthing works.

Do they just mean files but not programs?

Ron

VoG II 19:46 29 Jun 04

Yes files and settings, not programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac