Microsoft .NET Framework

FEEBS 14:23 PM 28 Jun 11

I have been looking at what is on my HDD to see if I can reclaim any space and found the following Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 Microsoft .NET framework 2 Service Pack 2 Microsoft .NET framework 3 Service Pack 2 Microsoft .NET framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 Do I really need all these or can I delete any of them? (I don't even know what they are) I'm running Win XP SP3 Cheers Feebs

mimosa418 15:36 PM 28 Jun 11

Net Framework in its various versions is required by some of your software to operate properly. It is unlikely that you can dispense with any of it unless you no longer use the software that requires it. Perhaps some trial and error may find what you could dispose of but beware uninstalling and reinstalling Net Framework versions can lead to problems with Windows Update. Best to leave well alone.

Crosstrainer2 15:46 PM 28 Jun 11

I concur, you need these files. Best look elsewhere if you need to save or reclaim space. Adding an external USB hard drive is a pretty cheap option these day's some examples:

link text

1: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freecom-500GB-External-Drive-Silver/dp/B000LQA652 External Hard Drives

cocteau48 15:49 PM 28 Jun 11

Please leave well alone and do not be tempted to remove earlier versions. .NET Framework installations are cumulative and later versions rely on the presence of earlier versions to install and work.

FEEBS 15:51 PM 28 Jun 11

Many thanks guys for your responses, I guess I'll leave things as they are. I do use an external HDD but I reckoned if I deleted some of the unused stuff on my int HD then it might run faster. Ho-hum! Kind regards Feebs

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…