Microsoft. NET Framework

tonyx1302 10:35 22 Aug 10

Good morning. I have recently acquired a laptop and will only be using it for very basic search/ebay /email work. I will not be playing games/ d/l music/twitter etc.

It is wireless via my desktop Neatgear router and runs on a very basic XP Home..no Word/Office and all my system software is up to date. The reason for this post is that I keep getting update reminders that I need to install/update NET Framework. What is it please, what does it do and do I need it? ( it seems to be a big d/l and updater)
I am loathed to change or install anything I don't need as the machine is just fine as it is !
Thank you

Tony

gengiscant 10:42 22 Aug 10
  provider 2 10:56 22 Aug 10

I brief, it`s a kind of pre-installed system that developers make use of to allow their programs to run efficiently on Windows.

BUT it`s not only huge, it`s also a work in progress and needs all of its various parts, to work properly and there has been no end of problems caused by updates failing to install because one part or another has been missed or deleted or failed to install properly at one time or another.

Various third party as well as Ms programmes use it. Bits of it missing may not be a problem for you now, but could be to-morrow if you install a prog that needs some part of the .net framework. Equally, it it may not be a problem at all if you don`t happen to install one of these.

In short, go ahead and install the updates if you like the idea of an insurance policy but be prepared for the possibility of installation problems which are neither quick nor easy to fix.

provider 2 11:25 22 Aug 10

Some .net framework problems that have come up on PC Advisor: click here

tonyx1302 11:58 22 Aug 10

Decisions! Decisions ! I'm even more confused after reading your replies. Should I let M/soft update and install,completely ignore it, or delete what NET framework that is already on my machine that I found in Add/Remove and keep my fingers crossed ?

Tony

sunnystaines 12:15 22 Aug 10

install it it will not do any harm.

tonyx1302 12:30 22 Aug 10

Thanks sunnystaines. I will do as you suggest.

Tony

johndrew 12:32 22 Aug 10

Install it you may currently have software which needs it to function or perhaps install some in the future.

Keeping it updated will reduce the risk of those 'nice' people who like invading others PCs from gaining access by increasing your security.

tonyx1302 12:34 22 Aug 10

Thanks johndrew.Your common sense answer hit the nail on the preferable head.

Tony

provider 2 12:35 22 Aug 10

Sorry about that, but like most .net framework questions, answering is well, ... difficult.

However, deleting is not a good idea and may not even be possible in the case of the first items in the .net framework sequence for the very good reason that they are part of the Windows OS.

Also, some of your programs may already be using parts of the .net framework and deleting may cause them to malfunction.

(I used to be indecisive, but now I`m not so sure.)

Don`t delete anyway.

tonyx1302 12:39 22 Aug 10

Thanks provider 2 and all. I have now d/l NET and all seems tickety boo so I will green tick ...fingers crossed... with thanks

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017