//some 3rd party need geo

Microsoft 'Natural' keyboard

Chris the Ancient 20:19 08 Apr 03

You know, the one bent like a banana (getting used to it - gradually) with the whizzy media and internet buttons on the top edge.

Daft question.

It has function key lock button on it that defaults to explorer functions on switch on. Usually, I cuss a few times when I find that my F keys aren't working properly and then hit the F Lock key to make them do what I want.

Is there any way of setting it so that the default is functions rather that explorer?

TIA

Chris

VoG™ 22:37 08 Apr 03

Have you got a key labelled "F Lock"? - press that and the Fs will F as intended.

Zaxifone 00:41 09 Apr 03

There isn't a way to set it to default. I too have this keyboard and it cracks me up. Tried everything. If you do find a way, let me know please... :)

Z.

Chris the Ancient 12:39 09 Apr 03

VoG™ Whoops! Yup the F key does work!

Zaxifone, At least Im not alone!

Sorry for the delay in replying. Been doing mundane things like eating, then sleeping and then working this morning.

Chris

barrie_g 13:40 09 Apr 03

never had one of these (though I am thinking of getting one, or was) but some of these keyboards come with a driver disk if this is the case with this keyboard try looking in control panel/keyboards to see if there is a setting which you can change.

Chris the Ancient 16:23 09 Apr 03

Apart from that minor annoyance, I love the keyboard. It's taken a little getting used to, but I'm getting there. The key action is one of the nicest I've come across - and I've had some 'expensive' keyboards in the past. I can recommend it.

M$ do provide a disc of driver stuff, but intentionally - or - not, it's about the only thing you can't program into the keyboard.

Ah well...

Chris the Ancient 16:23 09 Apr 03

Apart from that minor annoyance, I love the keyboard. It's taken a little getting used to, but I'm getting there. The key action is one of the nicest I've come across - and I've had some 'expensive' keyboards in the past. I can recommend it.

M$ do provide a disc of driver stuff, but intentionally - or - not, it's about the only thing you can't program into the keyboard.

Ah well...

crx16 16:33 09 Apr 03

"While there is no way to control the F Lock key state programmatically, Windows 2000 and Windows XP provide a method whereby keys can be remapped by using the Scan Code Mapper. The Scan Code Mapper can be used to change the functions of the function keys. Unfortunately, this functionality is not available for earlier Windows versions.

With the application of that knowledge, the two zip files below contain registry files that will alter the key mappings after Windows 2000 or Windows XP is started up. When F Lock key is in the "off" position, the function keys will have their "normal" function, and when the F Lock key is in the "on" position, the function keys will have their "enhanced" function."

click here any good?

Chris the Ancient 19:58 09 Apr 03

Now that sounds good!

I shall try that later when I have a few minutes to sit and try.

Megathanks for the lead and help.

Chris

Chris the Ancient 21:21 09 Apr 03

Update...

It works perfectly!

Brilliant stuff crx16 - you've saved my sanity. Even more megathanks.

Chris

crx16 21:26 09 Apr 03

well there you go,guess what

i typed 'microsoft natural keyboard f lock' into google.it was result number 2.

so it was nothing really :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…