Microsoft Licensing Query

OK Computer 09:02 09 Aug 04

I was wondering if someone could help me with a Microsoft Licensing question I have.

I have a laptop that has come pre-installed with Windows XP Professional Edition (OEM). I need to downgrade this to Windows 2000. I have been told, by Microsoft and a supplier that I am covered for a Windows 2000 license key by the Microsoft Downgrade License scheme.

However, I have one copy of Windows 2000 with one license key. Apparently, if I want to use that copy of Windows 2000, I would need to uninstall 2000 from the PC it was first installed on.

Otherwise I would need to buy a copy of Windows 2000 to obtain a valid new license key. Is this right!? If so, surely this "downgradable license" is irrelevant, since I would have to splash out once again for a valid license key??

keith-236785 09:18 09 Aug 04

as far as i am aware, microsoft allow ONE windows and licence to be used on ONE pc AND one Laptop, i havent tried this but someone will confirm this later i hope. Microsoft realise that many people are mobile users who need to syncronise (what a strange word) with thier pc at home and seem happy to allow this to happen.

best thing is to check with microsoft itself on this matter.

OK Computer 09:29 09 Aug 04

Thanks for the reply.

I think I heard that also, the problem being is that the Windows 2000 software that I have has been installed on another laptop.

My question really is, if Windows XP Pro really does license us for Windows 2000 surely we should be able to obtain a license key for not additional cost?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…