Microsoft hijack of home page

plca 18:00 24 Mar 07

After some recent updates from Microsoft on this XP SP2 laptop I find that the home page cannot be changed other tha Msn.com
The full thread is microsoft.com/isap/redir.dll?prd=ie&dci=ox0809&pven=6.0&ar=home
I have checked the registery under the usual key and internet explorer/control panel and the home page id does not appear.
It does not appear to be something nasty, but how can I reset this?

VoG II 18:16 24 Mar 07

You could try click here

Some security programs - e.g. Ad-Aware and Zone Alarm try to reset the home page to msn.

skidzy 18:46 24 Mar 07

Try Winpatrol,this will monitor and advise you of any changes,excellent program.click here

plca 15:38 30 Mar 07

I have seen other documentation on the web with this problem in particular with Vista.
Something is happening -By the way I do have AdawareSE on the machine.
Any more thoughts.
Thanks

birdface 19:26 30 Mar 07

If you print your home page in the top address bar and press refresh will your home page open then.[click here]Or whatever yours is.

birdface 19:47 30 Mar 07

Ignore that click here it was only meant as an example,I should have known better,If you can get your home page temporary.You could click the little arrow beside the house and change your home page from there.If not try it with your firewall turned off.Or try control panel,Internet options.programs,Make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser is pressed.Or control panel,internet options.Print your home page address in the box,Then press apply, ok.No doubt you have tried all those ,or double click privacy report on bottom status bar,And make sure it is not dissabled on there,Last resort turn your Anti-Virus off and try again.

MAJ 19:53 30 Mar 07

If you're having no luck, try Hijackthis click here, choose the option to do a scan, when the scan has completed, look to see if the microsoft.com/isap/redir.dll?prd=ie&dci=ox0809&pven=6.0&ar=home entry is listed. If it is listed, put a tick in the little box beside it and click the "fix Checked" button. See if that helps.

dfh 20:35 30 Mar 07

Hi, Does the following link help at all? click here

plca 19:17 04 Apr 07

Many thanks for responses the link from dfh is VERY interesting and shows the problem.
Will try an d follow up

Hangus 23:40 27 May 07

I had the same problem. I found the link from dfh interesting. I changed the setting on my Norton AV which had somehow decided it wanted to lock the homepage. Once I had done that I was able to change my home page to the one I wanted and it stayed in place. Dont know if the issue is with Norton or with microsoft on this one.

plca 20:01 29 May 07

I cleared the problem when I deleted Spybot and Adaware SE
Everything is now fine--I do not know which one caused the problem but glad to have the control back thanks to dfh !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…