Microsoft HelpFiles

kevvyb 21:14 24 Jun 03

Is there a simple reason why the hyper links in my helpfiles do not work?

jazzypop 21:30 24 Jun 03

Which version of Windows?

kevvyb 21:34 24 Jun 03

Win98SE - sorry should have said

jazzypop 21:52 24 Jun 03

NP - do you get any sort of error message, or simply nothing happens at all?

kevvyb 22:05 24 Jun 03

Hear the click. Nothing happens. No error messages.

jazzypop 22:20 24 Jun 03

Try the fix(es) listed at click here

kevvyb 23:37 24 Jun 03

Thanks Jazzypop will take a look although this does not really relate ti IE.

However, I am also getting an error message on selecting Tools/Internet Options in IE which says:
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in this computer. Please contact your administrator".

Do you have any idea what might be causing this. This is the first time I noticed it tonight. Could it be to do with settings in Zone Alarm??

jazzypop 19:36 25 Jun 03

There is a Registry setting that blocks access to Tools > Internet Options - see click here for how to re-enable them. Note also the references to Spybot - have you made alterations to settings within this program recently?

kevvyb 20:32 25 Jun 03

Thanks Jazzypop. It's the spybot what done it! Pity I didn't remember that I set it to block access here!

Thanks again.

Not sure about the fixes for IE though. Do you think these would apply/affect helpfiles in all MS programs??

jazzypop 20:56 25 Jun 03

There is tight integration between IE and a whole host of Windows routines and programs. The same code that isa used within IE is used to launch hyperlinks in other units, such as the helpfile.

It is not a definite fix, but can not cause any harm. If your registry entries already are the same as the suggested fixes, then they are not the problem. Typing regsvr32 , and then clicking OK will have no effect if urlmon.dll is correctly registered, but will fix it if it isn't.

kevvyb 22:50 27 Jul 03

It's taken me while to get around to trying your advice and it worked!

Thank you.

I know it's quite a while off yet but do you think that when MS stops supporting Win98 all the knowledgebase articles will be made available on CDRom to buy? At the moment I am printing them as I use them but it would be a real pain not to have access these after the withdrawal of support.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now