Microsoft Has Performed A Illegal Operation

Mad Boy 22:00 21 May 03

Just out of curiosity, why does this error show? I mean perhaps it has something to do with my PC or OS (Win98 SE) but I get the error quite frequently & randomly. Sometimes it happens in AOL or even the most basic of Apps such as MS Paint, Solitaire. Whats up with the error and why are you forced to terminate the application all the time? You cant even minimize the window. I though it was bad with the blue screen of Death but this is proving to be annoying also!

VoG™ 22:19 21 May 03

We know that the US Department of Justice considers that "Microsoft Has Performed A Illegal Operation" but what exactly do you mean? Please post the EXACT error message and what you were trying to do at the time.

Mad Boy 22:22 21 May 03

Nothing particular, it just randomly does it. For example if i type a URL in the AOL address bar and press GO the error comes up. Its little things like that

VoG™ 22:23 21 May 03

Does it say literally "Microsoft Has Performed A Illegal Operation" or what?

Mad Boy 22:26 21 May 03

then loas of technical stuff like numbers & HEX looknig symbols and things.

Its not important

VoG™ 22:29 21 May 03

"Its not important"

Of course it's important. How on earth do you expect to get help if you do not provide vital information.

I'm out of here.

Sion 23:37 21 May 03

I think he meant it wasn't important if you didn't know the answer to why it says "Microsoft has performed an illegal operations".I don't think he was looking for an anwser as to a specific problem.

Anyway Mad Boy, Basically, this happens when programs running in windows (internet explorer, media player, games etc) perform an operation that is outside its progaramming parameters. The program panics as this operation was not expectedby it, it does not know how to react to it, and so shuts itself off. Its like stalling a car. You give it too much acceleration or clutch, it'll stop, because the car cannot handle it.

I hope that helps you in some way.

jimv7 01:01 22 May 03

You have given the answer, aol changes windows registry, causing errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…