Microsoft GS Wavetable is MISSING (Win98/ME)

AudioVic' 16:15 28 Dec 03

Can anyone help,

I am currently running Win 98 with soundblaster live 5.1 sound card.

When I go to Control panel/multimedia/midi to opt for Microsoft GS wavetable as default midi file playback, it is not listed.

All that is listed is SB a, SB b, and SB SW.

These are quite good synthesisers but the GS Wavetable is far better for the Human Voice sybthesis such as: Pad 4 (Choir), Pad 7 (Halo) and Choir Aahs, etc.

Please be a nice Father Christmas and help poor old Audio Vic'

All of you have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year 2004.

LastChip 16:48 28 Dec 03

It appears you can only have MS GS Wavetable, when you use the Windows Driver Model (WDM) audio drivers.

This piece of text "borrowed" from Microsoft;

Note that the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth device is available for use in Windows 98 only when Windows Driver Model (WDM) audio drivers are being used.

For the full article, click here;en-us;193255

LastChip 16:50 28 Dec 03

Try here click here

AudioVic' 15:34 29 Dec 03

Thanks for trying to help LastChip, but sadly I still cannot get the MS GS Wavetable.

Your kind help is greatly appreciated though.

AudioVic' 16:12 29 Dec 03

I've cracked it LastChip.

You would think that Creative Labs would put some information regarding this issue in their documentation, unless I am too senile to have seen it. lol

Anyway, through lots of research and because YOU mentioned WDM, I tried installing an old ESS 1888 driver which included the WDM. Obviously it didn't work!

So, I went into device manager with the Soundblaster Live Cd in, and opted for update driver. I then clicked on HAVE DISK and found the driver in Audio/english. Prob solved.

Evidently, on installation it must have installed the default SB Live drivers.

I would not have achieved this if you hadn't mentioned WDM. so THANKS AGAIN

All the best from Vic'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…