Microsoft FrontPage Extensions? What are those

ajm 19:37 04 Dec 05

I am in the process of setting up a web-site. My choice of Hosting will be with Heart Internet. I have also seen reference to Microsoft Frontpage Extension. In simple terms, what is that and would someonone benefit from having a hosting package that has this feature?

Taran 19:59 04 Dec 05

set up on your account by your web host.

Basically they allow small 'programs' to run on the web server that FrontPage has as built in features.

These can include things like the FrontPage hover buttons, page counters and other bells and whistles.

Imagine CGI scripts and this is more or less what the server extensions are - they process instructions and their output is viewable on the web page(s) you design with FrontPage.

They are worth having on your account if for no other reason that they allow the FrontPage form handler to run, which can be used as an easy way to set up a feedback form.

Taran 20:04 04 Dec 05

I should really have added that the extensions are used by FrontPage in its publishing process, especially where you manage a site and elements of it (logs and similar) entirely through the FrontPage interface.

You can disable them in FrontPage so that you don't inadvertantly use them during design time, meaning you don't need them on the web server but, well, they can be very, very convenient...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…