microsoft flightsim x

sopwith 10:36 13 Apr 08

morning all
hope there are some simmers out there
problems with the above
ive visited ms site and other fs sites no resolution to problem
fsx took 2 mins to start up last (not for 1st time) thats from clicking shortcut to opening.
have all virus scans off
op system xp home with all updates
mobo asus m2nsli deluxe
cpu amd 6400+ dual core black edition
2gb ran
nvidia 8600gt
s/b audidgy
all have latest drivers
any suggestions please

pchelper001 10:49 13 Apr 08

only 2 minutes for you? My desktop has the same sort of specs as yours, but it take about 4 minutes for mine to load up! This started after I did an update for it. I cant remember whether it was a fsx update, or a computer update though.

Technotiger 10:49 13 Apr 08

Hmm, just timed mine, 1 min 15 secs. My spec is not as good as yours, apart from my 2Gb RAM all my other bits are lower spec. I will be upgrading my mobo/cpu etc this coming week.

I do maintain a very 'tidy-ship' though. Running things like Tune-up Utils, one-click maintenance, AVG updates on a daily basis, with diskeeper always on etc.

So I can only suggest, though you probably already do this, a thorough clean-up of all junk files, regular defrag and the like.

Technotiger 10:52 13 Apr 08

PS - mine also includes the Wings of PowerII add-on and the FS Acceleration Expansion Pack.

tigertop2 12:01 13 Apr 08

Defragging will certainly help if you have not done it recently. Out of interest I timed my Flight Sim X start up time today--exactly 53 secs.
Bear in mind it is a huge programme to load--about 3 times the size of XP if I am correct.
I run a Gigabyte M61-SP3 mobo, an AMD 5000 Black Edition and 4GB RAM fitted. Also an Asus 1GB 8800GT. Surprised you turn off the Virus scanning--I keep all my sec programmes running

If the Flight sim start up time is a real concern you could disable 'selective start up' in the System Configuration facility. BUT I would look elsewhere first, ie, is you hard drive big enough and not too full?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced