Microsoft firewall with AOL

XTH 22:28 15 Jan 03
  XTH 22:28 15 Jan 03

does anybody know how to activate the Microsoft firewall when the ISP is AOL?

Peter E 22:55 15 Jan 03

According to the February issue of PC Advisor (p. 175), the XP firewall is automatically disabled when you have an AOL connection. On installation of AOL, access to the connection properties dialogue box is disabled - hence windows XP firewall cannot be used with AOL.

A recent posting to the forum outlined problems with accessing it.

BigMoFoT 22:57 15 Jan 03

Or well I never figured a way how to! The problem with AOL is that it is doesn't register itself full in the registry, it kinda sits on top of it, so effectivley windows will not recognise an internet connection, whcih is why it either shows as not connected or present in the network options. Also, AOL uses a wan ppslip protocol connection thingy, which slips the registry

I've never figured out how to anyway - but thats basically what AOL have said (although not as directly!)

WaTcHiNg 23:01 15 Jan 03

click here
free personal use firewall

Gaz 25 23:07 15 Jan 03

AOL and XP firewall I see problems.

They just don't mix, try click here for free firewall if you want to protect your self.

XTH 23:23 15 Jan 03

Thanks. This is what I thought but hoped somebody had found the solution. when I asked AOL they referred me to Microsoft.!Is there anything else you can't do on AOL?

Migwell 23:24 15 Jan 03

The trouble is that AOL will not with anything or anyone. What a load of junk I dumped it a long time ago and I am pleased I did.

A relation of mine has had more bother than you would wish on an enemy. He has complained on so many occasions that he is finaly giving up and is going to another ISP asap. But is still having problems getting anothe ISP to load onto his computer because AOL has been there. Freeserve will not work nor will Tiscali work.

Seems like he is going to end up formating his hard drive to get rid. It sticks like something you step into on the street

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…