Microsoft Excel/Access

kenr 12:10 05 Mar 05

When I try to open a new database using the wizard in Excel, I get the message "A new database cannot be created". Any suggestions?

skeletal 12:38 05 Mar 05

I have found there can be problems when trying to EXPORT data from Excel to Access; this was some time ago and I've forgotten how I tried to do it. For a long time now I prefer to use Access to IMPORT data from Excel.

Not quite the answer, but can you do it this way round?

Skeletal

wee eddie 12:41 05 Mar 05

Try Access.

I did not know that it was possible to create a DataBase in Excel

onlyme 12:59 05 Mar 05

Hi there,

Can you tell me,which wizard are you using and which menu are you trying to access it from.

As far as I know Excel is not a database but you can convert spreadsheets into a web version which can be incorporated into a database.

I don't know if that is of any use to you.

skeletal 14:27 05 Mar 05

I read recently that Excel (yes it is a spreadsheet) is the most popular database in use in the world! This is like saying that Word is the most popular picture editor in the world (you can edit pictures in Word but do you really want to?!).

It is, I think, because it is easy to write a list in the various rows and columns and use the very rudimentary ordering functions Excel has.

However, it is easy to set up the start of a real (Access) database in Excel (if you want to); you can make up a spreadsheet and then export it into Access where it becomes a table.

If I remember, one of the options as you install Excel has to be set to do this; a “normal” install doesn’t. However, as I said earlier, it is easier to do your spreadsheet and then import it from Access.

There is no need to go via any Web stuff.

Skeletal

brambles 15:31 05 Mar 05

Open Excel normal new sheet

Type your Form Headers in columns
ie
Title A1
Initials B1
Surname C1
HomePhone D1
Select Only the cells you have typed in (Not the whole row)
Click File/Data/Form

Hope this helps - Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…