Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered...

MickLey 21:37 05 Apr 05

I get the following message every time I open Windows XP: 'Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close' along with a request to Tell Microsoft about the problem. Would someone please help me to get rid of it? Thank you.
MickLey

VoG II 21:54 05 Apr 05

Is Excel set to run at startup? Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK. Look for Excel on the Startup tan and untick it.

Does Excel start normally if you try to run it after Windows has loaded?

MickLey 21:10 08 Apr 05

Hi VoG™, thanks for your response. Excel is not set to run at startup, when I load Excel it runs normally.
Regards

lotvic 21:38 08 Apr 05

You could try:

Open Excel > Help > Detect and Repair

You will need the Office CD most prob.

VoG II 21:38 08 Apr 05

Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK. On the startup tab look for Excel and untick it. You will be prompted to restart Windows. Accept this and when the dire warning appears tick the Do not show this message again box.

VoG II 21:51 08 Apr 05

Ignore that, you've done it.

MickLey 17:23 12 Nov 05

Hello Iotvic
Thanks for the info, after trying it - it is still the same. Thanks anyway. Sorry to be so long answering, moved house.

VoG II 17:26 12 Nov 05

Try disabling error reporting click here

Although why this is occurring is a mystery.

MickLey 18:45 12 Nov 05

Hello VoG™ thanks for the rapid response, I disabled error reporting some time ago, it has made no difference. Thanks for the link it is very useful.
I read a long while ago while I was browsing, maybe two years, that the problem can be removed by accessing the registry but I haven't delved in there yet. Any help is appreciated.

lotvic 19:13 12 Nov 05

Are you sure the message says 'Excel' ??

Could you be misreading it? and is it 'Microsoft Explorer for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close'

MickLey 19:41 25 Nov 05

Thanks for the input lotvic, it definitley says Excel. Can you help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…