Microsoft Excel, do I have it?

clock 11:08 12 Feb 06

I feel stupid asking this after 3 years of having my computer, but, I don't have Microsoft Excel, - why is this? Running Windows XP Home, have Microsoft Works and within that Spreadsheets (same as Excel), but shouldn't Excel have been available?

Have The Computer Book, Windows XP edition, by Dorling Kindersley, and Excel has a whole chapter in this but look under Spreadsheets and nothing!

I know how to use Excel/Spreadsheets but am just puzzled why I don't have it as a separate programme?

Clock

The Kestrel 11:13 12 Feb 06

Microsoft works comes with Word, but then has its own simplified versions of spreadsheet and database, not Excel and Access. To have these you need to buy a version of microsoft office, which of course is much more expensive.

Totally-braindead 11:22 12 Feb 06

If you've had the computer 3 years and only just noticed that Excel is not there then may I suggest you don't need it anyway. MS Works as has been mentioned does not come with Excel, if you really do need it now you will have to buy Office.

Belatucadrus 11:23 12 Feb 06

Excel is generally available as part of the Microsoft Office suite or occasionally as a stand alone application. As you've already said your PC came with the cheaper works suite, so Office clearly wasn't part of the package and that's why no Excel. Unless you choose to buy it, that's how it'll stay. But to be honest Works Spreadsheet is fine for most home users.
As to why so little reference to it in the texts, Works has always been regarded as the poor relative of Office which is widely used in industrial applications, so gets the lions share of the documentation, though there are tutorials and stuff to be found if you want click here .

Jackcoms 11:27 12 Feb 06

Totally-braindead says "If you've had the computer 3 years and only just noticed that Excel is not there then may I suggest you don't need it anyway"

I'd go one step further - If you've had the computer 3 years and only just noticed that Excel is not there then may I suggest you don't need the PC anyway. ;-))

nick_j007 11:45 12 Feb 06

You can download a free Excell 'reader only' facility from Microsoft web site. Go to Help at the top of your screen, then down to Online Support and search from there.

HTH,

Nick

Fellsider 11:57 12 Feb 06

Excel files (*.xls) can be opened in Works spreadsheet then saved as works s/s files (*.xlr)
These can then be opened in Excel.

palinka 17:55 12 Feb 06

You can get a free Excel Reader from Microsoft here click here
That way you can read Excel spred sheets if anyone sends them to you, eg. as an attachment. But no, you can't write to Excel unless you buy it as part of Office

anskyber 18:06 12 Feb 06

Just a bit strong dont you think. After all this Forum is meant to encourage learning.

clock 20:08 12 Feb 06

To Totallybraindead and Jackcoms.

I'm upset by your comments. If you had read my posting properly, I didn't say that I had just noticed Excel was missing, I said I wondered why it was missing. Obviously, as I also said I understand how to use Excel/spreadsheets, I have been using the spreadsheet option available to me.

I have always found this Forum very helpful but will think again about posting anything because of your hurtful comments.

Clock

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:14 12 Feb 06

Don't be put off by the few. If everyone knew everything then there would be no need for forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…