microsoft download re browsers

kidsis 15:20 06 Mar 10

I keep hearing that microsoft are going to download something on our computers asking which browser we would like to be the default. Now, what I can't get is whether this will alter anything. I have both FF and IE, with FF the default. I don't want this to change. Does anyone know (a) if there will be a button to get rid of the message; (b) if not and we have to choose a default will any of the other browsers that we also have be deleted? (c) shouldn't they have sent a message first asking if we agree to the download?

Forum Editor 15:23 06 Mar 10

and I'll move it over there now.

beynac 15:25 06 Mar 10

I use Firefox as my default browser. On my XP machine, Windows Update downloaded the 'browser choice' update but did not install it. It was an optional download on my Vista machine.

It should not install unless you have Internet Explorer as your default browser.

beynac 15:26 06 Mar 10

I use Firefox as my default browser. On my XP machine, Windows Update downloaded the 'browser choice' update but did not install it. It was an optional download on my Vista machine.

It should not install unless you have Internet Explorer as your default browser.

Forum Editor 15:26 06 Mar 10

either at the time, by selecting it from a list of updates you'll be offered by the Windows update servers, or in advance, if you've selected the option to let Windows download and install updates automatically.

All that's going to happen is that Microsoft will give you the option to select a browser of your choice as a default, rather than making IE the default automatically.

kidsis 16:13 06 Mar 10

thanks for your replies (and thanks for moving the question FE). Looks like nothing will be changed then, and I will just choose FF as the default (as it is already).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…