Microsoft Beta Anti-spyware

number21online 17:45 05 May 05

I have had my current computer for three years running Windows XP and Norton Anti-virus/Internet Security. I run a very clean efficient system and have never had a virus until..... last week I downloaded and installed Microsoft (Beta) Anti-spyware; since then my computer has been infected with Trojan.Vundo.B and Download.Trojan, I have now removed these and as a precaution un-installed Microsoft (Beta) Anti-Spyware. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar or is this just an unfortunate coincidence!

Pooke100 17:51 05 May 05

I have antispyware beta installed a few weeks and I've never gotten a virus (reaches out to touch wood!).

If I have, AVG free and housecall online scan haven't picked them up.

P

rawprawn 17:55 05 May 05

No problem at all here, in fact I think it is a worthwhile program. It did throw up the odd false positive, which may be your problem depending on other programs you are running.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 05 May 05

Microsoft Beta Anti-spyware and spyware baster are the only antispy progs I run since renewing my PC in March not had a problem so far with approx 8 hrs a day surfing.

oseven 19:08 05 May 05

Perhaps the nasties were already on your computer and M/soft found them.

number21online 19:16 05 May 05

Microsoft didn't find them it was Norton that found them, anyone who runs Norton will know when it finds a virus, worm etc. you can't remove the warning until you have removed the virus. Thank you 'oseven' and everyone else so far for replying.

961 19:20 05 May 05

I don't think Microsoft antispy is the cause.

Download trojan in particular is by no means new and I just wonder if there is a problem with the virus scanner you are using?

igk 22:02 05 May 05

I am not a fan of M$ due to the underhand tactics that they use but I must say that I have been using this for a couple of months now and its (in my opinion) the best thing around (although its actually a Giant software product that M$ like so much it bought the company,underhand tactics again!!),no problems at all,In fact while trying to get some game cheats for my son it fired up a warning of a trojan downloader trying to get in,it was stopped in its tracks,I traced the website host (a uk hoster)contacted them,within 2 hours they had shut the site down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…