Microsoft Access query

interzone55 10:46 06 Jul 03

My wife has an Access database that includes over 1000 names & addresses.
One of the fields is a tick box to select a person for inclusion in a mail merge.

Here is her question:-

Why is it that when the query is run, the result is not sorted the same as the original, full, list.

For ease of sorting the letters & address labels, she would like the list sorted by surname, but this doesn't happen.

I wish I could provide more details for the question, but my wife is not very technical, so this is a condensed version of what she asked me last night.

TIA

Alan

The Idle one 11:02 06 Jul 03

In access to do what you want you have to use 'Advaced sort'. This allows you to select the tick box value & also to sort other fields in ascending/ descending .
If you just select the tick box on an ordinary search the results will be in the order the entries were made on the database.

interzone55 11:05 06 Jul 03

Thanks, I will try that and see if that's the answer. I don't have Access on this PC so will have to wait until tomorrow.

Good to see I'm not the only one here on a Sunday morning!

Webhead 00:26 07 Jul 03

Open up your query in design mode.
Select each of the fields you require for your mail merge (which you will have already).
Additionally add the 'Tickbox' field.

In the Surname field, click on the 'sort' box and a small arrow will appear on the right of the box. Click on the arrow and select your desired sort type - in your case ascending. This will sort the surname alphabetically from A to Z.

In the 'Tickbox' field, type the word 'True' (without the quotes) in the Criteria box.

Your query will now select ony those records where the box has been ticked, and the results will be displayed in Surname order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…