microsoft access

harps1h 23:01 03 Mar 05

my problem is that in northern ireland the postcode for belfast is BT1 ---. however the input mask only allows for double digits after the first two letters. as belfast is the only location here where the single digit occurs it leaves me with a problem of data entry as i get an "inappropriate data" message. is there any way around this apart from tying in BT01 ---

Jeffers22 23:35 03 Mar 05

Yes. There is a particular input mask that allows a voluntary input on each character. So the spaces for BT would be mandatory, and only the second of the next two number fields would be compulsory. If I remember rightly, there is a wizard that helps you through it.

Jeffers22 23:39 03 Mar 05

Do you use a ? for the third character in the input mask to denote it is voluntary?

Take a look here. click here If you can't get your answer from this thread then join and make a new post. Also take a look in the FAQs

Jeffers22 23:43 03 Mar 05

Got it.

In the properties of the postcode fied use the following input mask

>Laaa\ 0LL;0;#

This allows either BT12 3DD or BT1 3DD for example.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 10:59 04 Mar 05

Correct Input mask posted on this thread click here

Jeffers22 11:15 04 Mar 05

Yeah, I used to use that one on the client database I built, but had to change it because there are valid postcodes it will not handle.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 11:22 04 Mar 05

Can you explain further as the mask I posted copes with the single or double number post codes.

harps1h 20:06 04 Mar 05

that was the answer. thank you very much for that. just a pity my tutor couldn't tell me last night at school. thought i was being a bit over fussy, but all i was trying to do was be correct in all that i can.

very grateful to you

hartps1h ;-)

Jeffers22 22:55 04 Mar 05

Further explanation: It was a couple of years ago, I cannot remember the precise code. And, I've not done any updating of the basic client from layout that called for an alteration to the PostCode field. From memory, it was either a London code or some real obscure oddball code. The mask I posted was in fact one that was in an article on PostCode validation in the Database section of PCWorld magazine. Sorry I can't be more precise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…