microsft word text deleting

skaria 18:27 20 May 04

i have a small prblem with microsft word xp. When i try to delete text and highlight it pressing the backspace key will do nothing, i have to press delete button. When I highlight something so i can type and it will be removed, that also fails and the text i want to delete stays
any help????

recap 18:42 20 May 04

If its just in Word that this happens, try the Detect and Repair option in the Help menu of Word.

skaria 19:06 20 May 04

this did not work, though thanks
anymore suggestions

Chris the Ancient 19:22 20 May 04

An interesting problem and I can't reproduce it on my machine - but a couple of ideas for you...

At the bottom of the screen in the status bar, there is a little box with OVR in it (for overtype mode) If the OVR is black, double click on it, it should turn grey, and then see what happens.

It it ain't that, ther may be a slight glitch in your normal.dot template. Close Word, search for normal.dot and rename it to something like abnormal.dot so you could recover and name it back again later if required. Then open Word again. This will automatically create a new normal.dot template and may cure the problem (pretty please!)

Chris

Eric10 20:19 20 May 04

Tools, Options, Edit tab. Tick "Typing replaces selection".

skaria 22:42 20 May 04

thanks a lot for the great help as usual, it worked!!!!!!
thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…