microphone hum

geedad 17:25 24 Mar 11

Windows Home premium 64-bit.
When using my microphone, I get a humming feed-back, that varies with the proximity of the mike to the PC.I can't seem to find the position where it will work without producing the hum.
Any forum member with same problem - and fix?
geedad

spuds 17:45 24 Mar 11

Have you only this problem recently or is it a new microphone that you are using?.

Is there any other electrical items nearby?.

geedad 19:05 24 Mar 11

spuds
The mike is from earlier years, yes, but has been used without problems with my Windows Xp.
When you ask if there is any other electrical item nearby, I am not sure what you mean. If you mean peripherals, yes, EG printer, external drive, external storage drive, speakers, D-link modem.
But these are all connected, and necessary for me to use the PC!
I have a TV in the far corner of the room, with a VHS attached.
geedad

mooly 19:15 24 Mar 11

Hum is caused by stray 50/60 hz pickup maybe pointing to problem with the mic cable/plug etc.

Feedback is something different...
have you got the sound on the PC enabled such that the mic is picking this up, passing it back to the PC, and thus a continuos cycle is set up.

geedad 22:13 24 Mar 11

Thanks, mooly.
The speakers I use in conjunction with a Logitech webcam for vision AND sound. The speakers need to be of a high enough volume, to enable me to hear the contact.
The mike is disconnected at all other times.
geedad
Sorry I could not reply earlier. I was invaded by pop-ups from a so-called security company, informing me that I had Trojans galore, but that was dealt with again from the good fellows in the Forum!
All the best!
geedad

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…