microphone help!

Fred278 14:04 05 Feb 04

I am running Windows XP and am having trouble getting my microphone to work. I had an old one and it didn't seem to be picking up my voice so I bought a new one. It's still not working and I can't seem to find anything to help. I have worked through the MS help but have got nowhere. Please can someone help me!

Control Panel, Sounds and Audio, Voice, Test Hardware.

PA28 14:18 05 Feb 04

Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment>Volume Control/Sound recorder. Make sure your line in isn't muted and the input level is set, or nothing will work!

Anator11 14:20 05 Feb 04

sorry if this is a bit of a dim question, but u got it in the right audio socket? needs to be in the mono audio input socket and not the line in.

Fred278 14:21 05 Feb 04

Yes I have done all these things!

tafoody 14:28 05 Feb 04

the mic itself doesn't have a mute switch does it?

mine has one about 12inches along the cable, and could be overlooked.

Valvegrid 14:35 05 Feb 04

Are you able to test the mic on another computer, just to eliminate any fault the mic may have.

Fred278 14:38 05 Feb 04

the mic does not have a mute switch and may be able to test on another computer but it's the second microphone I've tried!
Now I've done something that seems to have uninstalled my Avance 97 something or other and can't find how to undo it. Was not aware I had uninstalled anything and no I'm not a complete novice but I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!! Do appreciate your help though.

Avance 97 is the sound card. Restart the PC, Windows should see it and reinstal.

jim1947 15:28 05 Feb 04

Do you have a webcam with a mic. If so this often sets itself as the default mic. It can be changed in the sound properties from control panel.

Fred278 10:14 06 Feb 04

I have now reinstalled my sound card. No I don't have a web cam. Thank you all for your help but it still doesn't work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…