IS Micro$oft Messenger safe and what is it?

muscic lover 22:29 05 Apr 05

Microsoft messenger is what my son (aged 15)wants to chat to his friends on.
Is it safe to use this program on my PC.
I run Norton Antivirus along with some antispyware programs (Spyware blaster, Adaware and Spybot).

Will these be enough to deter viruses from malicious folk.

Also just exactly what does MSMessenger do? What sort of programme is it?

Thanks in advance, from a nearly 40 year old duffer who is so uncool now! (so says my son!!)

VoG II 22:40 05 Apr 05

Get it click here

It is a program to chat in real time. You can use webcams etc. as well if yo want.

Fairly harmless but make sure he knows who he is chatting to.

pete-290318 22:41 05 Apr 05

I use messenger a lot. Its a programme that you subscribe to using your e-mail address and you can keep in contact with friends and relations all over the world.

I think it is safe because there are options to monitor who you add to your list and who to let add you to theirs.

As you would with e-mails you dont add anyone to your list who you dont know.

It is very easy to use and I think most kids and teens who have internet access use it to keep in touch.

Its very useful for transfering files and photos when you are online too and can be used with webcams and microphones to see and speak to your contacts.

Try it ... you an always uninstall if you dont like it.

Totally-braindead 22:49 05 Apr 05

I'm afraid I had a bad time with it, I'm sure that it was due to the way I set things up but it let in a lot of junk and I disabled it and have never used it again but some of my family use it on their PCs and have no problems as far as I know.

VoG II 22:54 05 Apr 05

Do not get Messenger Plus - it is bundled with spyware. My link above is kosher.

User-312386 22:55 05 Apr 05

Its safe as long as your son does not go off and meet anyone whom he meets online and never ever gives his address out or phone numbers

I love it

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:00 06 Apr 05

messenger plus is a useful extension but you have to read the installation instructions carefully and decline to install the 'spyware'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…