mice query

monkon2 20:25 03 Dec 03

i have a friend who wants an optical mouse, but she has an older pc with only a serial socket, or what i like to call a big end socket!!! i do not know the correct name for this socket but it is present on most older pcs. does an optical mouse exist for either of these two sockets?

thanks in advance for any help

Diodorus Siculus 20:27 03 Dec 03

It may be possible to use a convertor between the big one (like a 10p piece?) and a PS2 post. Don't know about a serial convertor or serial optical mouse.

A parallel port is bigger than a serial port, they are both oblong. An optical mouse will normally draw power from a USB port.

Diodorus Siculus 20:41 03 Dec 03

[email protected]@m - I took the "big end socket" to be the old type of mouse / keyboard socket, not a parallel port... maybe I am older than I thought!

The original mouse and keyboard sockets are round, a little smaller than a 5p (or farthing).

I don't know of any optical mice that would work on anything other than USB.

Jester2K II 20:52 03 Dec 03

You can get serial to PS2 converters. Loads of my old mice came with them when PS2 mice started to come out... Try your local PC store.

cycoze 20:53 03 Dec 03

Begs the question will a usb to ps2 to serial work , a usb to ps2 does as many do.

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 03 Dec 03

Original one: not the ones which are "a little smaller than a 5p" - these are PS2 ports; there was one before this which were about the size of a 10p piece!

An optical mouse needs more power than anything other than a USB port can provide. It would have to be battery powered. Don't know if any exist.

monkon2 22:29 03 Dec 03

i will have a look at all the above options, just for the record the big one i mentioned is more like diodorus description, maybe this will help me narrow it down

thanks again, im still open to options

woodchip 22:35 03 Dec 03

She can get a Optical Memarex PS2 the Harry potter one from Ebuyer for about £2.99 plus P&P and get a PS2 to serial converter if she as not got a PS2 socket

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…