Metronet Broadband & BT Voyager Modem

JimT 19:41 06 Jan 04

I've hust moved house to a non-cable area and have signed up to Metronet and use a BT Voyager ADSL Modem. The modem keeps cutting itself off and/or the line keeps dropping.

Also, I cant see any way to ensure that it connects to the internet at boot up.

Any ideas?

I had Telewest cable broadband before with no problems at all.

Daveboy 22:54 06 Jan 04

The voyager is an unloved modem, what is your pc setup ?usb MUST DELIVER 500 M/AMPS to keep these modems happy.Make sure all POTS equipment is filtered (including sky connections) .

Djohn 23:03 06 Jan 04

Try Device manager, click on USB and expand, right click on root hub and choose properties. Look under the power saving option and remove the tick from "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

JimT 11:30 07 Jan 04

Thanks, Djohn - I've now done that and I'll see if it makes adifference.

Voyager - I'm running XP Home and have several USB ports. How do I check the amps output? Also, I'm running sky TV - do I need to put a microfilter at the point where the Sky telephone connection is?

Djohn 12:56 07 Jan 04

Yes, the sky TV connection line will need a filter, the same way as a normal phone.

The basic set-up is to put a filter into your Main Phone socket, then connect a phone to the phone side of the filter and your modem to the ADSL side.

If you have any other phones [Including Sky TV] they can be connected to an extension lead and then through a double or treble adaptor to the same filter.

But if you have extension sockets round your home, then each one will require a filter connected, with the phones connected to the phone side of the filter, leaving the ADSL side of the filter unused.

Also you mention you have other USB ports on your PC, if these are in use, [Scanner/printer/camera, then you may find that your modem will drop the connection through lack of power.

This can be fixed by buying a powered hub, giving you 4 more outlets and should provide enough power to the modem even with other hardware connected at the same time.

As Djohn, but click Power. It will give the power (it's actually current) being drawn from the hub.

JimT 14:23 07 Jan 04

Thanks you two, very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…