MetroNet Broadband

Kernow999 16:22 13 Mar 04

Hi, has anyone got MetroNet as their broadband provider? Is it any good? They offer a low monthly fee but no hardware is provided. Also, does anyone know where cheap suitable modems can be purchased online?
Thanks all.

The Belarussian Mafia 16:47 13 Mar 04

To compare prices, service reliability and customer service for broadband providers click here . Before buying anything online compare prices at click here and/or click here . Someone mentioned in another thread that they'd got a cheap modem & line splitters from click here and I can also recommend click here as a reliable online retailer with good prices.

pj123 17:52 13 Mar 04

Metronet looks good but as you say you have to supply all the hardware and there is a one-off activation charge of £59. From other threads I have seen the average cost on Metronet is about £14, and the minimum contract is 3 months and not 12 months. If you already have the hardware and are prepared to pay the £59 activation charge then go for it, but there are many other Broadband company's wanting your business and are prepared to offer you a free modem and free activation provided you pay from £25 upwards per month (AOL, Tiscali, BT and Freeserve) with a minimum 12 month contract. I am on NTL Broadband via cable and my cost is £25 per month.

Dipso 23:31 13 Mar 04

I have been with Metronet since July last year. I have been very pleased with the service.

It is true that there are many other providers prepared to offer you hardware and maybe free activation. So what I usually advise people, is to monitor your usage for a month click here and use Metronet's usage calculator click here to work out your expected costs. If like many Metronet users, your usage is around £14 say, you would obviously save around £10 a month by going with Metronet which goes towards the hardware and connection charges you have to shell out.

You could always consider looking somewhere like click here for a modem. The link is referring you to the Speedtouch 330 USB which is the one I use and is very easy to set up. There are loads on Ebay as some people get them free and don't need them as they choose to connect with a router(usually multiple PC's)

More from Metronet users click here

Kernow999 06:57 14 Mar 04

Thanks all. I have done it. Signed up for MetroNet and bought an external modem, filters and usb hub extension thingy on EBay. All appeared to be an excellent price. Just await their arrival to see if they work now. Thanks for your input, all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…