Messy registry - help to do a clean installation..

salsatraducoes 15:51 29 Oct 09

I would need your help on what to do here:

Yesterday I’ve formatted my PC because it needed a fresh start.
I use XP Pro

For the purpose you only need to know that I've installed the following:
Office 2003 + Trados (Cat tool for translators) + Adobe Pro + Flip (Portuguese suite of spelling/linguistic tools).

Flip works integrated in office programs. The problem is that Flip’s menu on Word doesn’t work. I click on any option and the menu is as ‘dead’. Also, I have 2 pair of equal menus for Adobe Pro – one pair is fine, other is empty. Something went wrong.

Please notice that this configuration has been working for several years without any problems.

I’ve tried to select/deselect add-in options. Nothing.
I’ve tried to repair Word. Nothing.

I’ve uninstalled Word + Trados + Flip.
Restarted Windows.
Run a registry cleaning program (MV RegClean 5.9)
Restarted Windows.

Installed Office + Flip + Trados.

Menu stays the same!

Is there a way to clean these programs from the registry so when I reinstall Word + other programs he doesn’t retrive the old 'stuff’?!

Your input is much appreciated!

Greetings from Portugal.

howard64 17:53 29 Oct 09

when you formatted did you go for the full format or quick? If it was the quick it sometimes does not wipe out the old registry and you reinstall xp over that registry. The only clean install is the full format option.

salsatraducoes 20:26 29 Oct 09

Howard,

I have done a full format.

This 'registry' thing didn't happened after the format. I've installed my usuall programs yesterday and today I've noticed that Flip's menu wasn't working and I need it to access online dictionaries, so I've removed Word and other programs that work in it; cleaned the registry (in the hope Word wouldn't retrieve old info) and installed the programs again so that Word's menu would be 'fresh'. But it's not fresh :s

howard64 06:50 30 Oct 09

have you tried changing the normal.dot? search for it and rename it to normal.old. Restart word and it will put in a new normal.dot which will be totally clean.

salsatraducoes 08:38 30 Oct 09

A simple thing that worked, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Have a great day!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5