Messenger Spam or is it a popup

Colinp 21:05 28 Sep 03

Over the last couple of days, I have been getting some Messenger spam/popup windows. I am running MSN Messenger Version 6 as opposed to Windows Messenger Version 4.7? I know there are routines about to stop the Win Messenger spam, but I cant find any for MSN Messenger. I have Norton Internet Security 2003 firewall in place. Can anyone point me in the right place please. I have looked on the GRC site, But can only find one for Win Messenger.

MAJ 21:08 28 Sep 03

The one on the grc site is the one you want, Colinp, it's called Shoot the Messenger. The popups have nothing to do with Windows Messenger nor MSN Messenger, rather, they are caused by the Messenger Service running in XP.

MAJ 21:12 28 Sep 03

Or you can disable the Messenger Service manually click here

Colinp 21:20 28 Sep 03

Hi MAJ. I was just checking out your link for disabling Messenger Service , when another popup appeared. They have all been from destroyads.com, telling me how they can stop these popups from appearing. I dont think I will be using them.

MAJ 21:25 28 Sep 03

lol,Colinp, they'll probably try to charge you for the privilege. :-)

Colinp 21:26 28 Sep 03

They also want £17 pounds for the privelege!!! If I were to disable Messenger Service, would that stop MSN Menger working, Full stop. IE, if my brother was online would I be able to communicate with him.

VoG II 21:30 28 Sep 03

Its nothing to do with MSN or Windows Messenger. Kill it click here

tarkus 21:32 28 Sep 03

stopping messenger services will not stop msn or windows messenger from running it is a totally different program that is normally used in large offices and corporations

MAJ 21:32 28 Sep 03

No it wont stop MSN Messenger working, Colinp. It has nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger.

MAJ 21:34 28 Sep 03

I was well out-flanked that time. :-))

Colinp 21:37 28 Sep 03

Thanks All. Have just been to Shoot the Messenger, and saved myself £17. LOL. Makes you wonder how many people do go to "destroyads.com" and spend their cash though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…