Messenger slowing computer

My neighbours teenage daughter downloaded Messenger, which seems a popular thing to do these days. Since then, after the PC has been on for 15 minutes or so, it will 'stop responding',is how he describes it. The cursor still moves, and ctrl/alt/del allows programs to be stopped.

My first question is, where are they downloading Messenger from, to pick up these nasties such as CoolWebSearch? I successfully 'Shredded' another neighbour with that.

The 'Messenger' I'm aware of is a Microsoft product. Is this one all the kids are using a different thing altogether?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:05 07 Mar 04

Thers is loads of places to download messenger and different version to download all built around the original,i myself have a penguin 6.1 messenger just the same as the other but with penguin icons instead of the usuall also have msn plus installed with it ,never had the coolweb thing and it never slows the pc down,not that im aware of anyway.Try not starting messenger with windows and just start as needed.Also if you have xp both windows and msn messenger may be laoding up,i stoped windows from laoding unless i wont it to but left it in msconfig cos i need it for OE contacts thru hotmail.

Regards.

JIM 16:30 07 Mar 04

have daughter with same habit.(bad):)

Though mostly used for chatting with friends/homework etc,i found that a lot of problems were due to search options using Messenger.Also music seem to be shark infested with problems they get a hold of even though source is legit(well thats what i'am told and it better be!!)

Teenage daughters or son's will give you and i,a lota shredding for a few years yet.The source for the troublesome downloads i felt,were via messenger.yahoo.com but there is so many other sites to pick from and friends that pass on downloads.

Kinder Scout 17:44 07 Mar 04

CoolWebSearch remover click here

Thanks each. Are these alternative 'Messengers' being used because they are free? Looking at MS site, their version appears to be subscription.

JIM 19:48 07 Mar 04

MSN Hotmail account,no pay.

MSN Messenger 6 gives you safe, free instant online conversations that are quicker than email and more discreet than a phone call. Download MSN Messenger here.

click here

Thanks, JIM, I'll pass that on. I suspect the version he has will be tricky to uninstall, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now