Messenger Service popups

sheila.weston 13:05 01 Oct 04

Aftr a hard disc replacement I am in the process of reinstlling all my programs and keep getting popups from 'Messenger Service' saying something like:

Message from spyware advisory service to user: Your computer may be infected with unauthorised spyware programs................ go to spw9c.com or click here

I am treating these as a type of virus. Am I correct in treating these as a type of virus and closing the windows?

Another one says: Message from Microsoft Networks to Windows User. Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-043

Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could allow X code Execution (828035). Your system is affected. Download the patch from the address below! click here.

Is this a genuine microsoft message as it does not give the microsoft web address?

I believe there is a freeware program to avoid these popups? Can anyone help? I am getting a lot from 'Eva' and her friends!

Many thanks.

Sheila

VoG II 13:10 01 Oct 04
  bvw in bristol 13:10 01 Oct 04
  mikegm7 13:11 01 Oct 04

Go to control panel - admin tools - open. Services - open. Scroll through to 'messenger' click on it once - Right click and select properties 'start type' to disable - click OK - restart machine.
Mike

Stuartli 13:11 01 Oct 04

You need stopthemessenger.exe from click here or similar website.

OwenLotts 13:55 01 Oct 04

Its a scam to get you to buy a fix that has been offered for free above. Its not from MS - it tries to look like it is but its not.

sheila.weston 12:30 06 Oct 04

Many thanks, everyone.

Stuartli 12:48 06 Oct 04

You don't need to restart your system after resetting Services configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…