Messenger Service - Pop up

watchful 20:15 13 Jan 03
  watchful 20:15 13 Jan 03

Twice, whilst on this site today, a grey Messenger Service pop-up has appeared, advertising a sex site.

Has anyone else had this? I just deleted it but I don't wish to have these kind of ads on my screen.

I have an up-to-date scanner.

How did this happen? I thought they always came in e-mails.

Mac & Beth 20:17 13 Jan 03
  MAJ 20:19 13 Jan 03

Yes I've heard of it, many times, but I've disabled Messenger so don't get them. click here

Peter E 20:23 13 Jan 03

I've had the occasional one. I just close it. It's apparently a new clever way of getting ads onto your browser. There was a thread about it in this forum not too long ago. Oh, just found it...I think this explains it (courtesy of a post by Mac&Beth)...click here

watchful 20:24 13 Jan 03

Thanks for the links but I hardly ever use the Messenger and don't have it running in the background so how do they get in?

watchful

Peter E 20:26 13 Jan 03

Oh, not quick enough.

MAJ 20:26 13 Jan 03

If you don't use it, watchful, try uninstalling it.

Mac & Beth 20:26 13 Jan 03

It different from MSN or Windows Messenger. Its a background service that runs by default. You'll still need to disable it as in the posts above.

Mac & Beth 20:28 13 Jan 03

Sorry thats to say it different to the Instant Messaging Programs MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.

Its a background service that runs by default.

You'll still need to disable it as in the posts above.

watchful 20:32 13 Jan 03

So it's not the same thing as Windows Instant Messenger - ah! I'm with it now. I want to keep the instant messaging service so I'll disable the other one.

Must go now - Coronation Street calls!

Thanks everyone.
Watchful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…