"Messenger Service" - JanitaGirl

Scribbler 14:00 23 May 03

Whilst logged on to the net (inc. whilst Emailing) I keep getting pop-ups from something called "Messenger Service". Most of them refer to JanitaGirl and her website. Everytime it pops up I delete (I had one just now whilst writing this note!) but they keep returning. I have "Pop-Up Stopper" from Panicware installed which effectively stops most of this rubbish - but not the persistent JanitaGirl. Any ideas what I can do to stop the notes coming in?

hugh-265156 14:03 23 May 03

turn off messenger.

go to start/mycomputer/controlpanel/administrativeservices/services scroll down and find messenger double click and choose disable under start up type.restart windows for this to take effect.

Legolas 14:03 23 May 03

Common problem click here

hugh-265156 14:04 23 May 03

above should read

start/mycomputer/controlpanel/administrativetools/services sorry

mikef™ 14:05 23 May 03

Go to click here and follow the instructions for your Operating System.

mikef™ 14:06 23 May 03

Beat me to it Legolas :-)

GORAL 17:13 23 May 03

Hi Scribbler - It seems all the advice to date merely says "Turn it off". but disabling the service has snags - if you are a network you will not be able to receive network notifications, messages from 3rd party software companies may not be displayed plus other probs.

Better idea is - from the main .Net Messenger window select Tools. Choose Options. Click on Privacy tab. Select "All other users" from your Allow list then click the Block button. Click OK when finished.

This advice is from Microsoft.

Bagsey 17:35 23 May 03

Thanks for your info. That is just what I have been looking for. I cant dissable it because I use it to contact family and friends, but your way certainly looks the business. Thanks

spikeychris 18:39 23 May 03

Bagsey, the info supplied by GORAL is correct concerning networks, I found this to my peril months ago when I was trying to send a message on a 20 machine network. However I very much doubt you use the "Messenger Service" to send messages to friends that Scribbler has asked about, you will use Windows messenger, its not the same..

Chris

Bagsey 18:04 24 May 03

Thanks for that comment. You are dead right . I am still getting love letter from Janita Girl et al.There must be a way of stopping them ???? but how???

spikeychris 18:46 24 May 03

Hi Bagsey, just turn it off click here and follow the link sent by Legolas. The only problems I have come across is internal network message sending. If your not on 2K or XP post back.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…