Messenger service grey pop-up boxes. !!!!! Arghh

spiders 14:20 02 May 03

Please can anyone help with the getting rid of the messenger service grey pop up boxes. I don't want to view Janitta's web cam. I even have pop-up boxes telling me how to get rid of pop-up boxes. It says go to control panel! Then pay if you want further instructions?? If this is the case there must be some way on my comp of blocking them.They are so annoying and seem totally un related to specific sites. Just if you have messenger running then you are vunerable. I am running windows XP home edition, and msn messenger version 5. Which by the way will also not allow me to invite to Netmeeting ?Thanks in advance.. Phil.

Legolas 14:24 02 May 03

This is from a source on the Internet it will rid you of the pop up problem

here's the "quick fix" method of getting rid of message alerts.

disabling microsoft network messenger in winXP
#1: click on "start" and go into "control panel".
#2: in "control panel" click on the "switch to classic view" link, in the top left of the screen.
#3: double click on the "administrative tools" icon.
#4: double click on the "services shortcut" icon, this will open the "services window".
#5: in the "services window", scroll down the list displayed on the right, and find "messenger".
#6: double click on "messenger", this will open the "messenger properties" options window.
#7: you will see an "startup type" options list, select "disabled" from the drop down list.
#8: below "startup type", you will see "service status", with "start", "stop", "pause", and "resume" buttons underneath.
#9: click on the "stop" button
#10: at the bottom of the window, click on the "apply" button, and then on the "ok" button.

you can now close all the opened windows, and you should not get anymore "grey box" message alerts.
your computer will still be unprotected against port scanners, but they won't be able to send you network messages.
if you want to stop the problem of port scanning, you need to install a firewall program.

also, don't confuse "microsoft network messenger" with "MSN instant messenger", they are two completely different programs.
"network messenger" is an adminstrators network communication tool built into windows XP and 2000.
"MSN messenger" is an instant message/chat program.
if you disable "microsoft network messenger", you can still use "MSN messenger

MAJ 14:24 02 May 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…