Messenger Service

Alasdair 00:03 28 Mar 03

From time to time I get grey boxes coming up on my computer screen with the heading in the blue strip saying "Messenger Service". They
are usually of an advertising nature offering products and services or even jobs.

This sounds an excellent alternative to email and could be used tell someone with only one phone line and who is on the internet that I wish to call him on the phone.

Where can I find out how to use this Messenger Service?
--
Alasdair.

hugh-265156 00:25 28 Mar 03

dont use this.it will become annoying(all sorts of unwanted nonsense)to disable go to start/control panel/administrative tools/services and disable.then get this instead for real time chat click here

Forum Editor 00:35 28 Mar 03

The messenger service you refer to is Microsoft Windows Messenger Service, which is part of Windows NT/2000/XP and is used by network administrators to send messages to users on the network. Abuse of this service is fast becoming an even worse menace than email spam, and the source of the pop up spam messages is virtually untraceable.

This is different from the MSN .NET Messenger instant message software available at huggyg71's link. That will enable you to send messages to anyone else who has downloaded the .NET Messenger software, provided they wish you to see them online.

powerless 00:44 28 Mar 03

If the service is running or not...

...and the message that you will see, similiar...

Go go Start > Run > Copy and Paste:

cmd /k net send 127.0.0.1 hi

Click "OK"

If you see the message "The message alias could not be found on the network" Then the Service is not running.

If you get a Window pop up saying "HI", then the service is running.

vaughan007 08:24 28 Mar 03

I think Yahoo messenger is better than msn.

messenger.yahoo.com

graham 10:02 28 Mar 03

Oo-er! Mine's running! Will turn it off now.

graham 10:10 28 Mar 03

Further advice needed, the only messenger I can see in local services says it is not Windows Messenger.

MAJ 10:15 28 Mar 03

It's not the same thing as the Windows Messenger instant message thingy, graham.

graham 10:18 28 Mar 03

OK, how do I stop Windows Messenger?

Alasdair 10:33 28 Mar 03

Many posters have said what a bad thing Messenger Service is, how it is open to abuse and to turn it off.

But I want to know how to use it and I am looking for instructions on how to do so. I can get plenty of instructions (including a video) on how to use Windows Messenger but that's not the same thing.

I want to know how to use Messenger Service.

MAJ 10:35 28 Mar 03

To uninstall Windows Messenger, go to Start > Run and type in:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and hit OK. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…