Messenger service

TOFF 07:55 07 Mar 04

I am concerned about a new scam that is going around. I have a computer with a firewall (XP plus McAfee) and I have received two pop-ups which purport to come from Windows. The first directed me to click here in order to download a patch to cure osme kind of 'buffer overrun'. I have not downloaded the patch although dire consequences are threatened if I don't as XP is said to be 'critical'. The second pop-up replaced the first and part of it reads:-
"How to disable these pop-ups - an ew wave of Internet advertising is coming your way. It is called the Messenger service adnd it is built directly into your windows operating system....blah, blah...Fix this today! Visit click here".
I assume that by downloading these patches or what ever, i will therafter infect my computer with some kind of spyware. Am i correct or are these genuine. Also, if I have Messenger service, can it be disabled?
As usual all advice gratefully accepted.

Forum Editor 08:48 07 Mar 04

is certainly genuine, as is the Microsoft security bulletin mentioned on the page to which your link refers. The vulnerability is classed as 'critical' by Microsoft, and you need to do something about it.

You really don't need the Messenger service unless your computer is on a corporate network, and I suggest that you disable it. Here's how:

1. Click Start and then Control Panel

2. Click 'Administrative tools'

3. Double click 'Services'

4. Scroll down and highlight 'Messenger'

5. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.

6. Click the STOP option.

7. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar.

8. Click OK

Alternatively, and if you want to leave Messenger running, download the Microsoft patch from
click here

TOFF 10:29 07 Mar 04

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…