Messenger - recieving files problems

Serendipity777 10:12 09 Jan 05

Ok i have both msn and windows messenger on my pc and have one person that i regularly swap files with, this works fine when i send stuff to him but when he tries to send files to me I get the following problems:

Msn Messenger - Always a slow transfer rate, this problem only started a couple of months ago and is only when he sends to me, not the other way round, sometimes i can speed it up by changing my display picture in msn, doesnt seem to matter from what pic to what pic or if i take it off completely, any ideas on how to fix?

Windows messenger - due to the problem above we have been using this one instead (normal transfer rate) until yesterday when he tried to send me something and all i kept getting was a message on messenger saying the file may not be safe, so it would not transfer, we tried with more than one file and same thing, i know his norton is reporting virus free so am wondering if there are any setting in windows messenger i could have inadvertently changed? any help would be appreciated

huzzar 11:26 09 Jan 05

I think that you are very brave using both versions of Messenger. (Windows & MSN) I tried this in the beginning and had similar problems which resulted in me deleting the Windows Messenger and keep MSN.

Serendipity777 11:33 09 Jan 05

So would that be a suggestion to remove windows messenger and see if that helps ?

huzzar 11:42 09 Jan 05

That decision of course is yours, I personally don't see any reason to have both of them working on the same computer. As I said, with me it caused conflicts.

ACOLYTE 12:00 09 Jan 05

I have both versions,installed although i only use 1 and i have never had problems with it.The slow transfer rate may be down to your friends connection.What file type was he sending? some types like .exe may not send i always zip the files and send seems to work.

Serendipity777 15:46 09 Jan 05

Hmm dont think so, anything can cause a slow rate on the msn even a 65kb pic, its for all different file types none of them makes any difference, its really weird.

AubreyS 16:03 09 Jan 05

I think that this a deliberate problem caused by MSN for whatever reason that they have decided. I installed Yahoo Messenger click here and the transfer rate is a lot faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…