Messenger Question

Brian-336451 17:02 21 Jan 04

Hi chaps (and ladies) I have a bit of a conundrum that I'm blowed if I can solve.

I'm in Bangladesh and use Messenger to communicate with my wife and daughters. My problem is that in XP Pro the 'native' Messenger appears to be version 4.x. I downloaded MSN Messenger 6.1 and am happy with it.

I went into Add/Remove windows progs and de-selected Windows Messenger, but it keeps 'creeping up on me' and instead of 6.1, I keep getting Verson 4 starting up.

Any sensible suggestions as to how I can either completely remove version 4 (without disabling 6.1 in the process) or getting the system to default to version 6.1.

I've Norton Ghosted my c: drive so am prepared to be adventurous but would like some pointers if there's an expert or gifted amateur out there; because regarding this subject I'm a Luddite.

Thanks

cycoze 17:17 21 Jan 04

AS Far as i know Windows messenger and MSN messenger are different , you can disable Windows messenger and still use MSN have a look at these threads , click here , click here , click here .

I have removed Windows messenger as above and had no problems , but having a backup image is always a good idea :o)

smegs 21:28 21 Jan 04

click here click here the first one sorted mine out.

Chegs ® 22:01 21 Jan 04

Try removing both MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger (Start/Run and copy/paste this " RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove " to rid Win Messenger)Once MSN is removed via Add/Remove programs,run a search on your PC for any residue of MSN Messenger(Search for MSN,not MSN Messenger)and delete these files/folders.Then reinstall MSN Messenger 6.1.If this doesn't effect a cure,then I'm stumped as to what else to try.

PS. I tried to post this several hours ago,but got JRun Server error,until just a short time ago.

Brian-336451 13:01 22 Jan 04

Hi guys, I'm actually in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia at the moment on a public machine and won't be able to get my machine 'online' until Saturday night.

I'll check these options out. Yes I thought that Messenger and MSN Messenger were not the same. What really stumped me was having uninstalled Windows Messenger, the pesky thing wouldn't lay down and die.

I didn't want to just piecemeal delete the files because as far as I'm concerned I don't know whether that would screw anything else up (which is daft when I think about it as I said that I'd Ghosted the partition anyway) - oh well a faint heart never won a fair lady (what was she doing at the fair anyway? I digress!)

I had heard of several 'fixes' that would send Windows Messenger to that great Recycle Bin in the sky, but took no notice as I'd never needed a 'Messenger' of any description until recently when I moved overseas to work.

Version 6.1 of MSN flavour seems to do all I want apart from the unwelcome visits by the other.

So thanks, I have the prospect of sanity returning soon.

I'll let you know how it goes

Regards Brian

Brian-336451 17:45 24 Jan 04

Looking at the options on offer I chose the 'elegant solution from' Microsoft since I'm running XP Pro on my laptop.

For any other's its the one pointed at by Cycoze and is click here so thanks again one and all.

That's what I like about this forum, people actually help each other - in this day and age it seems rare sometimes.

I appreciate all who responded, know that you contributed to my sanity, my hair and my fingernails!! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…