messenger pop-ups

Jayne doe 20:32 25 Oct 04

HI my friends machine keeps having pop-ups with messenger across the top. It syas Your computer has been compromised. Gop here to download...then it gives the name of a software site. When she clicks the X to shut it down another box pops up that says Windows NTL has encountered an error and will shut down in 60 secs then reboot, which it does. Now I have seen this before or something like it. I thought it was the blaster virus. So I have downloaded the latest stinger dated 14 October. Took out windows messenger using VoGs advice from another thread. Run Norton 2004 to checj whole computer and still the damn thing pops up. It only pops when connected to internet though and only shuts down when you try to close the box. Any ideas lads? Thanks. Jayne

sean-278262 20:36 25 Oct 04

try using spybot and adaware (search in google for download locations.make sure they are up to date before you check the system with them.

Jayne doe 20:43 25 Oct 04

thanks for advice creature but already done that. Run spybot, adaware, pop-up killer, stinger. Kill messenger. Run Norton. Took VoBs advice to remove messenger. There must be something Im missing or have got the wrong angle. Does the box with Messenger at the top actually come from windows messenger?? I dont know. It seems there is a program associated with the pop-up that shuts computer down when you close the box. Thanks for input. Jayne

mark2 21:05 25 Oct 04

to shut down windows messenger
click here

Jayne doe 21:30 25 Oct 04

Mark2 thanks for your input I will try this tomorrow now. But why does shutting the window pop up start a program that shuts the computer down?

Lionheart ? 21:39 25 Oct 04

You could try this click here

Audeal 23:20 25 Oct 04

Disable Messenger Service

You can disable the messenger spam although doing so may result in Windows not being able to alert you to some conditions. A list of circumstances when Windows will use the Messenger service to pop up informative windows may include things like print spooler, anti-virus, and event logger status messages.

1. Click Start->Control Panel
2. Click Performance and Maintenance
3. Click Administrative Tools
4. Double click Services
5. Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
7. Click the STOP button.
8. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
9. Click OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…