Messenger - not auto connect to Internet?

Gizmocat 17:14 15 Feb 05

I have registered my daughter to use above.
If I try to sign in without logging on Internet firstI get the following msg
'Service failed because the service could not be found. Please make sure you are connected to the Internet'
I assumed that it would auto connect and a colleague at work reckons this should be the case.(like when you load OE)
Any advice?

GANDALF <¦:-)> 17:16 15 Feb 05

Why not connect first and then run it?

end 17:44 15 Feb 05

I have just tried my MSN with BB connection off, and get presented with the BB sign- in window ;I think yu will find that, unless you have an "always on" internet connection you will have to enable that connection before you can effect the messenger sign -in:)

Chezdez 18:55 15 Feb 05

again, the trouble between PPPoE and PPPoA connections. i would guess that when you want to connect to the internet, you have to 'dial up' (enter a username and password into sign box, and click dial)?

i used to have to do this (my ISP is pipex, and i used the alcatel 330 speedtouch modem they supplied), but when i got a router, it became an always on connection, meaning that MSN signed in as soon as i logged on

if your connection to the internet is by an ADSL modem, then there is, unfortunately, no way around the 'dial up' box, except for purchasing and installing a router, as far as i am aware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…