Messenger dead since installing wireless router

DuncanG 12:27 31 Oct 05

I installed a netgear ADSL 384GT wireless router on my XP pro system. My main PC which is connected via ethernet connects to the internet fine (well some sites seem to load quicker than before and other very slowly...but that is a seperate post?!) but my MSN messenger will not connect at all saying the network is too busy.

Any suggestions why this may be? I uninstalled messenger and reinstalled but the problem persists. Messenger is version 7.5.

recap 12:53 31 Oct 05

If your router has a firewall, check that it is configured to allow MSN messenger.

DuncanG 12:58 31 Oct 05

Doh! Will check that when i get back, any other suggestions people?

Cheers recap

Splork 13:17 31 Oct 05

Port 1863 I believe, to connect at least, not sure about audio/video/file transfer ports.
And click here will tell if you the problem is down to MSN.

DuncanG 13:20 31 Oct 05

Cheers splork , wil check the ports when i get home. Was not a msn problem, checked their service status, but thanks for the link.

DuncanG 20:51 31 Oct 05

Well managed to sort the problem if anyone reads this, this is how!!

I changed the MTU size to 1400 which cleared up both problems of msn messenger not connecting and some websites loading very slowly. Used Dr TCP to change the value settings.

Hope this may be of some help to somone.

DG834GT - is my router, had a memory failure at work when listing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…