MESSENGER AGAIN!

middleroom 22:09 12 Jan 04

I HAVE SEARCHED THE ARCHIVES BUT I CANNOT FIND ANYTHING TO SATISFY MY CURIOSITY? I HAVE DISABLED MESSENGER IN SERVICES, BUT IN ZA PRO ALERTS AND LOGS MESSENGER IS STOPPED AS HIGH RISK FROM CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET, IT THEN DISPLAYS MY IP ADDRESS AND PORT 1900. IN THE LAST 3HOURS THE COUNT IS IN EXCESS OF 7000(THOUSAND)THE FREQUENCY IS APPROX. EVERY 45MINS. IS THIS SPYWARE / HACKER OR ANYTHING MALICIOUS.

plsndrs3 22:18 12 Jan 04

As I understand it, Messenger is a 'great' marketing tool as it neds no spyware alongside - so scanning with Adaware or Spybot Search and Destro will not throw anything up.

Even if you were to install something like Shoot The Messenger, which stops these adverts, the fact is that you will still be targeted for adverts as the advertiser sends them out to anyone oneline in the hope of hitting a target.

You might want to run the three programs mentioned to see if there is any benefit anyhow:

Spybot: click here
Ad aware: click here
Shoot the messenger: click here 0,fid,23016,00.aspom/downloads/file_description/ 0,fid,23016,00.asp

HTH

Paul

middleroom 23:05 12 Jan 04

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. SORRY I FORGOT TO MENTION I ALREADY RUN AD-AWARE6. SPYBOT FOUND 3 REGISTRY AND 3 FILE COMPONENTS, BUT I EXITED THE WRONG WINDOW PART WAY THROUGH THE SCAN. WHEN I OPENED SPYKILLER FROM DESKTOP IT TOLD ME I HAD PROGRAMS THAT NEEDED TO BE REMOVED, BUT I HAD TO BUY THE PRODUCT TO PROCEED. THE 3RD PROGRAM YOU ADVISED, I WAS UNSURE WHICH OPTION TO DOWNLOAD AND TRY.

VoG II 23:13 12 Jan 04

Please stop SHOUTING!
If you don't use Windows Messenger, remove it:

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.

2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

(this is for Windows XP)

plsndrs3 23:15 12 Jan 04

Run spybot again - but which 'wrong' window did you choose? This should pick it up if it is still there unless you told the program to ignore it. Personally, I have used Spykiller, but saw no point in paying for the product as Search & Destroy + Ad Aware is probably as good and they [and their updates] are free. No issues so far fingers crossed.

For the 3rd one, type Shoot The Messenger into the search box and click search - it should be the first item listed on the results page. Download it and run it, then select 'turn messenger off' or whatever it is.

This will stop messenger ads appearing on your desktop [which I assume ZA is also doing], but it will NOT stop your PC receiving them. I am unsure whether it will reduce the number of hits you have seen - perhaps you could post back & let me know for future reference?

Paul

plsndrs3 23:17 12 Jan 04

I believe the issue is the number of hits received, and I don't think that STM will actually stop this. Do these ads still register on ZA as a hit?

Paul

VoG II 23:21 12 Jan 04

plsndrs3

Yes they probably do.

middleroom - The best thing (as with all firewall things) is to turn off the alerts and surf in peace.

To disable Messenger Service pop-ups click here

middleroom 23:32 12 Jan 04

Thanks to all.
VoG what do you mean STOP SHOUTING! Have i done or said something to upset you? If so please be so kind as to point me in the right direction. I find the helproom an invaluable point of interest and reference and do not want to offend

hugh-265156 23:37 12 Jan 04

as above turn off the alerts,just causes unessessary worry.test your firewall click here click proceed and the test all the services.if all is well turn them off and enjoy your surfing in peace.

hugh-265156 23:39 12 Jan 04

using capital letters in most forums means you are shouting and makes it not so nice to read.

dont worry about it. :-)

VoG II 23:39 12 Jan 04

Typing in CAPITALS on the internet is considered to be the equivalent of shouting.

You have not offended me - it just makes your posts very difficult to read. I see you have found how to turn CAPS-LOCK off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…