"Messenger"

rewired 22:27 16 Jan 03
  rewired 22:27 16 Jan 03

Help please,
I am getting a frequent "pop up" masquerading as a messenger service asking me to send for some phoney degree or to phone somebody called Kelly who , apparently ,is dying to hear from me! So far I have deleted and forgotten.
I am now wondering how the message gets through my Norton anti- virus and firewall.It always appears in the evening when I am off line,usually in the middle of a game.
My trojan remover has failed to find anything so,how does it get in and what can I do about it?

spikeychris 22:49 16 Jan 03

If you don't have XP (or Win2k or NT) then tough you have to put up with these nasty little programs..

Chris

spikeychris 23:01 16 Jan 03

Thank you, didn't realise you could stop it at port.

Regards

Chris

watchful 07:09 17 Jan 03

I've just had this problem resolved on here a few days ago. The answer was to disable Windows Messenger thus: XP Home by the way -

Control Panel - Performance & Maintenance - Administrative Tools - Double click Services -scroll down and highlight Messenger - right click the highlighted line and choose Properties -click the STOP button - select Disable or Manual in the Start-up Type scroll bar - Apply - OK.
This does not affect the instant messaging service.

rewired 09:19 17 Jan 03

Thanks Guys (and or Gals.)I will give suggestions a go and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…