messenger 6.2 works fine but can't delete 4.2

cyberbreed 19:34 23 Aug 04

I have downloaded 6.2 and still have 4.2. I have tried to delete 4.2 but it won't dump to bin as it says there is a file in use. The same file appears in the 6.2 folder. I have deinstalled 6.2 and tried again to no avail.
6.2 works OK but if I sign out 4.2 seems to sign me in. I also have the problem that 6.2 signs in then signs out saying I have logged in on a different computer - then I have to log in again!
Any ideas?

VoG II 20:30 23 Aug 04

These are actually two different programs click here

cyberbreed 20:47 23 Aug 04

Thanks, I will read this soon.

cga 20:50 23 Aug 04

The link provided by VoG™ is the correct info and solution - however:

All the MS gobblydygook about what will and will not run does not affect the average user. For most people MSN messenger (6.2) is equivalent and slightly better than Windows Messenger (4.x).

The bad news is that Windows Messenger starts up very quietly without any identifiable start entry. This is why it causes a conflict with MSN messenger.

The MS article details the correct way to deal with this but, if you are not happy with editing the registry, there is a quick and dirty solution.

Go to C:\Program files\messenger and rename Msmsgs.exe to $msmsgs.exe

Once you have restarted your system the problem will be solved. If you do encounter problems later you can rename the file back

cyberbreed 20:59 23 Aug 04

Yes - maybe I will try this and read the article as well.
I'm not sure about messing with the registry. I'm not that expert - just a tinkerer! Ta.

cyberbreed 19:05 03 Sep 04

Just an update - the dirty fix did not work. Said it was a shared file and would not change. The problem solved by following the link instructions from microsoft - it was surprisingly easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…