Messenger 6.0

Daveym 17:42 21 Jul 03

I have just downloaded messenger 6.0 for Win XP but it has kept the origional version 4. Can I uninstall ver 4 and just keep ver 6.0 as sometimes both try to load at the same time causing me to be signed out of one I am already using.

Thanks Dave M

VoG II 18:18 21 Jul 03

I think that you are confusing 2 different programs - Windows Messenger (version 4) and MSN Messenger (version 6).

To remove Windows Messenger from an XP system, start, run, paste or type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and click OK.

Daveym 19:43 21 Jul 03

It worked a treat. Now I only have MSN messenger 6. Why is there two programmes ie win messenger and MSN messenger??

DAve M

whybe 20:01 21 Jul 03

I think MSM Messenger was MS's stand alone instant messenger service which is also attached to Hotmail. WM seems to have been only launched with XP (where V1-3 went?). I'm not sure what the difference is as I have WM and my mate has MSN and they look substantially the same.

Taw 21:18 21 Jul 03

Ive been using your info to delete my messenger 4.6 but every so often it appears back on my pc. When i run your info it deletes it tells me that messenger 4.6 has been removed, everything is ok for a while then all of a sudden it returns. Have you any idea why?

powerless 21:23 21 Jul 03

click here -5 and just add 6.

VoG II 21:48 21 Jul 03

Er, sorry no I don't.

I removed Windows Messenger as above and it has never returned.

Of course, it would return if you did a System Restore back to when it existed or you have done a repair of XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…